Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Owl Pellets

Tomorrow is my favorite day of science the entire year! My kids get to disect owl pellets. One may ask "what is an owl pellet? Well- it resembles poop- but actually an owl cannot digest food so they regurgitate it- meaning they throw it back up in the form of a pellet. We find bones from all kinds of small rodents and get to match them up to a chart and figure out what kind of animal their owl ate for dinner. If you know me at all you know that I am a GIRLY girl. So today I went to SAMS and bought 500 plastic gloves for $5 (I thought that was a deal!) because I cannot bare to see the kids touching this with their hands- even if they have been "sterilized." We actually start off tomorrow by watching an episode of Dirty Jobs called "Avian Vomitologist". Very cool! Even though I have a math degree- I LOVE teaching science. I have learned so much this past year and it amazes me how much these kids are learning. I will try to take some pics tomorrow and post them so you can enjoy my science lesson too!

No comments: