Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, July 12, 2010

Carly's Birth Story Part 2



So once we were in the observation room things began to move quickly. They hooked me up to the monitors and to everyones surprise I was having major contractions! Ha! I didn't even know it. I think by this point my adrenaline was so high and I was used to being uncomfortable so it did not phase me.



When they began to put in my IV- David began to really get anxious. He was shaking and I began to panic- he may not make it through this!


They then made everyone leave and asked me a million questions. The anesthesiologist assistant came in and started her thing. They checked my blood sugars and everything was looking great! Next the anesthesiologist came in and explained everything to me. They asked David to leave the room and began to insert my epidural. Let me say this was the thing I worried about the most, but it was not bad at all. My IV hurt worse than the epidural! As they were doing this Dr. Wagman came in and checked on me. She asked the other nurses/doctors if it were okay for my Mom to come back with us and they said yes! I sent David to go and get her and she was so excited. Then they wheeled me back to the operating room and told Mom and David to get dressed in their scrubs.



The next part was a blur. They called out names and instruments, briefed the room on my information,etc. The baby nurses came over and told me that Carly was not going to have to go to the NICU for tests after all. My test results from the Endocrinologist had come back perfect. Then they started. I remembered from all the baby shows I watched that it does not take long to get the baby out- and began to worry when David and Mom were still MIA! My doctor sent someone out to find them and luckily they made it just in time. Minutes later my beautiful baby girl made her debut at 12:13pm. She barely whimpered- more like purred. I asked if she was okay- and they told me yes. My doctor came around the curtain and told me that choosing to go ahead with the c-section was a blessing because Carly's cord was wrapped tightly around her neck.


On all the baby shows I have watched to prepare myself for this day- there is that beautiful moment where they put the baby on the mothers chest after it is delivered or if it is a c-section- they lift it up for mom to see then take it away to suction. I have cried countless tears watching these beautiful moments on television. In reality, for me, there was no such moment. She was born, they took her to the side for suction, etc. Twenty five minutes later, after hearing Mom & David and all of the nurses ooh and ahh over her- I had enough! I looked over at the nurse and said can someone at least show me a picture!

And finally my Mom brought over my sweet baby girl to meet me!

Luckily, we both checked out fine after the surgery and we are now Insulin free! Our hospital stay was brief- they released me early- because I did so well. I really lucked out- we had the best nurses ever! I could have stayed for days if it weren't for the food and the fact that I missed my dog :) My Mom came home with us for the first five days and David's mom came by and helped during the day. I don't know what I would have done without their help.

Looking back over the last ten months I realize how blessed and lucky we are. Despite the complications we encountered, we now have a healthy and happy baby girl. I really enjoyed being pregnant- even with the horrible heartburn insulin shots, sugar free diet, etc. The feeling of her inside me and the miracle of it all is truly amazing.

Our sweet Carly- you are the greatest gift from God. You amaze me every single day. I look at you and everything is right in my world. I can never ever ever tell you how much your Mommy loves you. You are my SUNSHINE!






2 comments:

Kristin said...

I kept checking and waiting for Part TWO and it just now showed up today!! strange!!

She is beautiful!!!! Congrats to mommyhood! It is so amazing!!

Kristy said...

Well it has taken me this long to finish it because she never lets me put her down!

Thanks- it is the BEST thing I have ever done :)